January 2, 2014

Silent Gum Disease could be Deadly

Chances are you saw the headlines about a new study that looked at the relationship between gum disease and heart problems.  But headlines can take you just so far. So I’d like to take this opportunity to explain the study’s findings because I’d hate for anyone to put his or her health at risk due to misunderstanding.

Understanding the Study

Of course the best way to get the whole story is to read the study yourself on the American Heart Association web site.1 For those of you who don’t have time, though, let me share a quick overview.

Over the years, scientists have conducted more than 500 studies that looked at possible associations between gum disease and conditions like heart disease and stroke. Some showed a positive association between gum disease and heart problems and some did not.  And there was also a question of whether something else (what scientists call a “confounding factor” like smoking) might be behind both problems.

That’s where we were before the recently reported study. We (dentists) told our patients there was a link between gum disease and heart problems and encouraged them to take excellent care of their gums. But we did not say that gum disease “caused” coronary disease.

And that, basically, is where we still are today. Or as the group of scientists who conducted the study say in their summary: “Observational studies to date support an association between PD [periodontal disease] and ASVD [atherosclerotic vascular disease] independent of known confounders. They do not, however, support a causative relationship.”2 

What it Means for You

That doesn’t mean gum disease has no effect on your heart. And it certainly doesn’t mean it’s OK to stop doing everything you can to protect your oral health.

The study’s conclusions are best summed up in the words of Pamela McClain, DDS, President of the American Academy of Periodontolgy: "Periodontal disease and cardiovascular disease are both complex, multi-factorial diseases that develop over time. It may be overly simplistic to expect a direct causal link. The relationship between the diseases is more likely to be mediated by numerous other factors, mechanisms, and circumstances that we have yet to uncover. However, as the AHA statement points out, the association is real and independent of shared risk factors."

"Patients and healthcare providers should not ignore the increased risk of heart disease associated with gum disease just because we do not have all the answers yet."3

Protect Yourself

Bottom line: It’s just as important as ever to brush, floss and see us regularly. Gum disease is still a danger and it can still creep up on you if you aren’t careful.

In its early stages, gum disease has no symptoms, and by the time you do notice problems like soreness and bleeding it can be seriously advanced. That makes it a bit like high blood pressure – a real and significant problem you’d never suspect on your own.

The only way to know you have a problem is to have a gum exam by me or my hygienist. And that’s still critically important, especially if you or someone in your family has heart disease.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. We’ll be happy to make sure you’ve got all the facts you need to protect your health.

1. Periodontal Disease and Atherosclerotic Vascular Disease: Does the Evidence Support an Independent Association?, http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/125/20/2520.full
  2. Periodontal Disease and Atherosclerotic Vascular Disease: Does the Evidence Support an Independent Association?http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/125/20/2520.full
  3. Periodontal Disease Linked to Cardiovascular Disease, http://www.perio.org/consumer/AHA-statement